elPearls have been considered a symbol of unblemished perfection. To keep your pearls looking as perfect as the day you got them, here are some tips on how to properly care for your pearl jewelry.Clean your pearls following every wear. After wearing, wipe pearls with a soft cloth that won’t scratch or damage them. Get into this habit each time so that a more major cleaning isn’t a big deal. Clean pearls more thoroughly now and then. When cleaning pearls more thoroughly, be sure to take these precautions:
- Only use jewelry cleaner labeled as safe for pearls.
- Do not use toothbrushes or hard abrasive material to clean pearls.
- Never use dish detergent, bleaches, powdered cleansers, baking soda, or ammonia-based cleaners to clean pearls.
After washing the pearls in the suitable jewelery solution, wipe the pearls off with a soft cloth. Lay the pearls flat on a moist kitchen towel to dry. When the towel is dry, the pearls should also be dry for wear.
- Never hang pearls to dry.
If pearls are mixed up with another piece of jewelery, greater care needs to be taken to ensure that all parts of the jewelery piece are washed appropriately.Also be sure that there isn’t any water residue left inside holes or crevices of the jewelery piece. The same standards for cleaning the pearls part of the piece apply; use a very mild washing solution and wash and dry as outlined above, being careful not to scrape the pearls against any other parts of the jewelery it is attached to. If in doubt, talk to a jeweler and have them assess the chances of cleaning it properly as there may be different requirements for different gems and metals/leather/coral/fabric, etc., included in the piece.
- Store pearls in a separate jewelry pouch. They can get scratched by sharp objects or other gemstones.
- Pearls are considered ideal wedding gifts because they symbolize purity and innocence.